Monday, May 18, 2009

Slump Time

It's one of those times when I'm not feeling very motivated to do anything. This extends to my personal life as well as my work life and it's frustrating and demoralizing. I'm not sure why I so often seem to hit a lag spell in late spring, after more busy and productive winters (though a trend of unfortunate spring/summer romances could correlate). You'd think with all the busy photosynthesizing going on outside I'd be inspired.

The past couple of weeks I've simply been hauling myself to work and going through the motions. The high point of my day today is going to be a waltz lesson at 7 pm, because dancing always brightens my mood. But before that I have Apollo to walk and primers to design for a gene that we're going to be cloning. I also have to do mesocosm work, which isn't exactly inspiring or fun and RNA extractions for a very particular technician. Sundry and various miscellaneous tasks are also beginning to pile up. Let's have a resounding headdesk for my miserable lack of enthusiasm. I hate it when my life turns into shades of gray.

On the bright side, I do have a Brugmansia suaveolens seedling that finally germinated after almost a month. I planted about fifteen seeds and only had one pop up, but one plant is really quite enough anyway--the plants can get quite big. All the other seeds molded or were consumed by little larvae, perhaps partly because I kept the soil too moist. In any case, the germination was a victory for me and something small to be happy about. Maybe inspiration will hit tomorrow.

No comments: