Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Close Calls of Mice and Men

Living life carries incredible risk. It is the risk of death.

There's something about being slightly nomadic, young and single, and focused on an objective where you can confidently talk yourself into doing all sorts of foolish things. I'm not one to drink myself senseless at a bar or experiment with illicit substances, but I've taken my share of other risks, living in sketchy neighborhoods, walking alone any time of the night, and driving through bad weather. On the way up to my parents' place I lost control of my car on a bridge and ended up halfway into a snow-drifted ditch. Not two weeks later, shortly before New Year I spontaneously decided to change my plans from spending the rest of the holiday at my parents' house to driving over 300 miles through the night to spend it in New York City--without checking the weather ahead of time.

It was a nice drive for the first 2-3 hours. I chatted with my sister and played my Celtic music and mused about life. Apollo made himself comfy in the back seat and eventually my sister dozed. I'm fond of long, quiet drives. They vindicate my fondness for thinking and I like being occupied while I think. I was settling in for a nice, 7-hour drive when enormous snowflakes started trickling down from the clouded sky. There are two ways to get to The City from my parents' house and I'd chosen the somewhat longer, but (I thought) safer way. I was shortly reminded about lake effect snow off Lake Champlain, Lake George, and the Hudson. Slush piled up on the road and it got worse the further south we drove. I had to turn my music off and shift every ounce of concentration to the road. Other than a few big rigs I was practically the only person on it.

Blitheful spontaneity no longer seemed like a good idea. Upstate New York is sparsely populated and we were miles from family and friends so I decided to press on as far as I could. I got about halfway to Albany before I detected a change in the road in time to slow to a 15 mph crawl. The bridge was all ice and the car simply slid all the way down until I managed to brake it to a halt in the slush on the left lane. On the right side of the road across from me a less lucky vehicle was askew in the snowdrifted grass with emergency lights flashing. That was it for me. After shakily pulling back into the tire track path in the right lane, I got off the highway at the first exit I saw and found a 24-hour gas station. Inside, a couple of bona fide upstaters were conversing about the state of the road and the mindset of people with 4-wheel drive. The storm was worse further south and there was black ice until Albany. I knew I wasn't going anywhere soon.

I went back to my car, where my sister was somehow managing to catch a nap in an impossible position in the front seat and there was Apollo, curled up cozily on our luggage in the back. I, on the other hand, was on overdrive. I've always had trouble sleeping before and during long road trips. A mix of apprehension and excitement rev up my adrenaline and I do these six- to fifteen-hour drives on practically no sleep. After almost crashing into a guard rail, sleep was out of the question. So I picked out two pieces of cinnamon gum and watched the road for the snowplows and the sky for snowflakes and the gas station for unscrupulous individuals who might want to pick on two sleepy girls in a car. It was a long, long time. A few snowplows came and went. A few people came and went. The snow fell harder and harder.

Eventually someone else parked an SUV ahead of us and sat with the engine running for a very long time. No doubt they were waiting for slightly better travel weather as well. In the meantime, I was charmed to see a chipmunk skittering around in the snow. I love chipmunks. They are adorable and chirpy, harmless and lovable. Someday I'll tell you the story of Chippy the Chipmunk, who lived under the backroom in the house where I grew up. But this little chipmunk should have been asleep in a warm tunnel underground, not scampering around a gas station during frosty December snowstorms. Did you ever think of the inside of a tire as a cozy hideaway? This chipmunk did. It seemed to be looking for shelter, darting up the sidewalk and around the ice chest and garbage can. Then it spotted the left rear tire on this parked SUV and darted into it. It stayed there for several moments and then decided to try the right rear tire. It preferred the left one and went back to it. To my horror, not a minute later the brake lights on the vehicle lit up and it started moving.

I couldn't look away. As the person slowly backed the SUV towards me, I could see the chipmunk running inside the tire like a mouse in an exercise wheel, going faster and faster, trying to keep up. At the last minute, as the monstrous contraption paused to turn the front wheels and pull away, Chipmunk managed to jump out and dash safely back to the gas station. I let out a sigh for both of us as it disappeared around the station corner, unharmed and hopefully wiser. For some reason, at the time, intervening didn't enter my mind. In retrospect, I suppose I could've woken my sister and Apollo by bouncing out of the car and waving my arms at the unsuspecting traveler, hopefully getting her to stop and let the chipmunk escape. Happy for my conscience that Chipmunk was lucky and quick enough to jump out all on its own.

I ended up waiting two hours before venturing back onto the highway. I took things very, very slowly and pulled over several times. By the time I hit clear road I was so tense that my arms hurt and I couldn't tell whether the unsteadiness I felt on the road was black ice on the road, the blasting wind, or my lack of sleep (in the end I figured out that it was the wind). It was a rough drive and it took me a few days to recover my usual equilibrium. Chipmunk and I should've known better than to take midnight trips in the dead of upstate New York winter. It will be a while before I risk so much to get somewhere.

No comments: